I don’t know about you, but sometimes I am stuck when it comes to having an idea for a game session. I decided to create 50 small ideas that could help get your creative juices flowing. Find one you like and have fun.
50 Ideas: This list offers a variety of ideas to get you started on your next RPG adventure.
1. The Heist: Enter a city’s underworld to pull off a daring robbery.
2. The Journey: Embark on a grand adventure across a dangerous land.
3. The Battle: Fight for your life in an epic battle against impossible odds.
4. The Mystery: Time to put their plan into action. The goal is to get in and out of the target location as quickly as possible, without getting caught. This can be a risky undertaking, but if everything goes according to plan, it can be very rewarding. Unravel a dark mystery that has been hidden for centuries.
5. The Race: Compete in a dangerous race through treacherous terrain.
6. The Treasure Hunt: Search for lost treasure in an ancient ruin.
7. The Monster Hunt: Use a variety of weapons and magic to defeat a terrifying monster.
8. The Challenge: Battle the most powerful monsters and evil wizards in an epic struggle for survival.
9. The Bet: Find out who the greatest hero is—yourself or another?
10. The Desert: Cross a barren desert to look for a hidden ruin rumored to be filled with magical items.
11. The Forest: Journey to a mysterious forest in search of a hidden cave.
12. The Mountain: Climb to the top of the highest mountain in the world and discover what lies beyond it.
13. The Fairy Tale: Search for the truth behind a mysterious fairy tale and its sinister secret.
14. The Ruins: Escape from a prison of stone and find what lies beyond the haunted ruins.
15. The Sea: Journey to a remote island and sail the open seas in search of adventure.
Check Out Our DM Journal
The Dungeon Master Design Kit is for Dungeon Masters that like to create their own RPG campaigns from scratch, but have trouble keeping all of their notes in one place.
This book contains 5 pages of questions for you to quickly plot out the overview of your RPG campaign.
From there we split into three sub sections (or sub plots or acts) and ask drill down deeper into the story line so that you can tell a cohesive story in your RPG even if it lasts for 45+ weeks.
16. The Sky: Build your own flying ship and fly across the world in search of adventure.
17. The Tower: Discover what lies within the dark walls of a mysterious tower.
18. The Island: A mysterious island has risen above the sea overnight. What could have caused this to happen?
19. The Cave: Journey deep into the earth to discover what lies within the mysterious cave.
20. The Desert: Investigate the disappearance of an ancient desert kingdom.
22. The Forest: Players asked to hunt down missing children in the forest of mist.
23. The Ocean: Travel across the ocean to deliver a prince in an exchange to ensure peace.
24. The Dark Wizards Tower: A heist to break in and steal an artifact that has trapped the souls of your player’s loved ones.
Free World Creation Infographic
Get a step by step graphic to explain how to create a custom world in your tabletop role playing game. These steps work for Dungeons and Dragons / Pathfinder and any RPG.
In addition to that I will give you a subscriber discount of 50% in my etsy store for anything over $10.
25. The Ancient Crypt of the Lich King: A crypt long since forgotten by time but not by the undead that guard it.
26. The Heist: A local noble is offering a prize to whatever adventuring group can break into his vault to prove that it is unbreakable.
27. The Haunted Castle: Ruled by a dark wizard that experiments on the innocent townsfolk.
28. The Exotic Jungle Temple: An ancient artifact is contained within and it is rumored to be able to heal the poisoned land.
29. The Tower of Fire: Defeat a terrible ancient evil that is trying to take over the land.
Track the following:
- Player’s name
- Max Hit Points
- Spell Casting DC
- Darkvision (if applicable)
- Passive Perception
- Saving Throws
30. The Frozen Tundra: An undead army has been seen marching across the frozen tundra and will eventually descend on living kingdoms in a month.
31. The Dungeon: Dark levels of the dungeon that have been sealed away for ages under an impenetrable evil and must be conquered to complete the story arc of the adventure.
32. The Haunted Castle: A cult opened a portal to the negative energy plane.
33. The Exotic Jungle Temple: Defeat an ancient evil vampire who is raising an undead army.
34. The Siege: A portal to the plane of the Nine Hells has opened on the capital city. The king summoned all heroes to come at once to fight this invasion.
35. The Theft: The Githrazi stole a great artifact from an archmage. Can the players steal it back?
36. The Raiding Party: A Drow raiding party was seen 3 days from your location. You need to find them, kill them and seal the passage to the underdark.
37. The War: The last human city is under siege by a large army of orcs and goblins, you need to take the fight to them before they come too close to your home.
38. The Recognizance Mission: Find secret information from the nearby kingdom.
39. The Evil Cult: You have been tasked with finding out if an evil cult has emerged and must be destroyed before they run rampant in the land.
40. The Death Cult: A new death cult has appeared and you need to find out where they are hiding before they can get a foothold in your land.
41. Mindflayer Aftermath: You hear rumors of a recently destroyed cave filled with mindflayers. Did they kill all of the mindflayer larve?
42. Guilty: Your party has been found guilty of a crime they didn’t commit and have been thrown into the Dungeon of Torment where they must escape or die.
43. Invaded: The material plane is being invaded by the elemental planes who are expanding their territory. The party must find and seal the gates for fire, water, earth and air and figure out why all of these planes decided to invade now.
44. Reality Warping: The mad wizard Ala’care discovered a secret source of magic. Ala’care used the new source of magic to warp and twist reality around his lair.
45. Demon Cult: You hear rumors of a cult that worships a giant demon that they are going to summon to destroy their enemies.
46. Evil Roams the Countryside: The party is told that an evil entity has been spotted near a small town. They must check it out and send it back to the 9 Hells if they can.
47. Strange Lights: There is a strange light in the sky that seems to be growing brighter and brighter, causing strange weather changes over the land.
48. Missing People: There is a strange creature moving through the forest, and people are disappearing. They must investigate!
49. Gnolls: A small town has been taken over by a gang of gnolls. The party must stop them before they destroy the town!
50. Strange Happenings: A mysterious woman has appeared in town, and she is causing strange things to happen. The party must find out what’s going on!
There are 50 ideas for your next Dungeons and Dragons game. I hope that they helped you come up with something fun to run.
About the Author:
Dwight Scull has been playing tabletop role playing games (starting with Dungeons and Dragons 3.5) back in 2001. He started being a dungeon master around 2005.
He loves to play many different types of TTRPG’s, including GURPS, Shadowrun, Vampire: The Masquerade, Mage: The Ascension (and other White Wolf Games), Nights Black Agents, and others.
Fan of mysteries, light horror, co-op board games, true crime, sci-fi and fantasy.